SecurityNewsSource is a victim of its own success. A spate of high-profile cyber attacks has sent thousands of customers flocking to join its security alerts platform, and now the service is buckling under the weight of all the new users. They need a solution that will scale quickly. To help out, they’ve turned to you. The SecurityNewsSource app runs on Kubernetes, and in this liveProject you’ll be boosting its resilience and scalability with modern cloud native practices. Your challenges will include horizontally scaling the service without reducing functionality, allowing Kubernetes to monitor liveness and readiness, and setting up monitoring systems to keep an eye on important metrics. You’ll also make important adjustments to improve the service’s security, all to ensure that SecurityNewsSource’s customers keep getting essential alerts without disruption.
This project is designed for learning purposes and is not a complete, production-ready application or solution.
This liveProject is for software engineers experienced in building web applications. To begin this liveProject you will need to be familiar with:
- Basics of Kubernetes
- Basics of Docker
- Basics of Node.js
- Basics of multiple service communication via HTTP-based services
you will learn
In this liveProject, you’ll undertake the development and deployment work required when companies make the move from a legacy application to cloud native.
- Adapting existing Kubernetes services to cloud-native techniques
- Creating a new cloud-native service for Kubernetes
- Managing stateful applications and ingress traffic in Kubernetes
- Keeping personal information safe using Kubernetes secrets
- Keeping data safe using Persistent Volumes
- Instrumenting cloud native services to supply health status and metrics
- Monitoring cloud native services using Prometheus and Grafana