Careers @ Manning
Manning is an independent publisher of computer books for software developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, managers and all who are professionally involved with the computer business. We also publish for students and young programmers, including occasionally for children. We are an entirely virtual organization based on Shelter Island, New York, with many staff working from far-flung places like Manila and Zagreb.
We have an entry level opening for a full-time Acquisitions Editor to acquire quality books and authors in the field of web technologies and related subjects. The ideal applicant will have 1-3 years experience in a similar role and be looking to move to a leading publisher with greater responsibility and flexibility in their day-to-day role. Some experience with computer technologies would be a major asset. Candidates without experience in publishing but who have a background in technology are encouraged to apply as well.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Internet research and reading to stay on top of market developments
- Contacting potential authors to discuss potential book projects
- Mentoring potential authors in the preparation of book proposals and book plans
- Market research in order to find data to back up proposals
- Presentation and discussion of proposals with the publisher
- Negotiation of contract terms, royalties and advance payments
- Overseeing books through to publication
- Day-to-day contact with other members of the team: editors, marketing, publisher, production
- Active participation in launch and marketing of books
- Helping development editors with issues concerning authors, content and schedule
- Writing the marketing and back cover copy for new titles
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
This is a remote working role and the successful applicant will demonstrate an ability to manage their own time and workload while maintaining a high level of quality output and consistent performance. In return, Manning Publications offers a unique opportunity to work with flexible working hours and remuneration based partly on performance. To register your interest in the role please email a cover letter along with your resume to email@example.com with AE-2016-1 in the subject line.
Manning Publications Co. seeks Developmental Editors to work directly with book authors to create high-quality manuscripts on time. Ideal candidates are critical thinkers who skillfully identify and articulate weaknesses in a manuscript's organization and writing, adopt a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicate with authors, work both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meet deadlines. Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies (such as mobile application development, responsive design, cloud computing, big data and analytics, and agile and lean development). This is a great position for someone looking for part-time work (15-20 hours a week).
- Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts in their manuscript
- Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the book's intended audience
- Continually assess manuscript content at a high level
- Manage the book-development process so that authors are completing manuscripts by due dates
- Ensure that manuscripts adhere to Manning's writing guidelines
- Provide project status and content assessment to publisher, acquisition editor, development manager and other Manning staff
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
- Perform occasional tasks related to the marketing of books
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
- General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
- 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
- Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (primarily during U.S. business hours).
- Strong project- and time-management skills
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, and phone
- Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
Previous experience in a book publishing environment
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Email your resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with job DE-2016-1 in the subject line. If selected for an interview, be prepared to complete an editing sample. This is a freelance, telecommute opportunity (no travel).