Careers @ Manning
Manning is an independent publisher of computer books and video courses for software developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, managers and all who are professionally involved with the computer business. We also publish for students and young programmers, including occasionally for children. We are an entirely virtual organization based on Shelter Island, New York, with many staff working from far-flung places like Manila and Zagreb.
Manning Publications Co. seeks Developmental Editors to work directly with book authors to create high-quality manuscripts on time. Ideal candidates are critical thinkers who skillfully identify and articulate weaknesses in a manuscript's organization and writing, adopt a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicate with authors, work both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meet deadlines. Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies (such as mobile application development, responsive design, cloud computing, big data and analytics, and agile and lean development). This is a great position for someone looking for part-time work (15-20 hours a week).
Please note: This position does not include copy editing duties
- Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts in their manuscript
- Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the book's intended audience
- Continually assess manuscript content at a high level
- Manage the book-development process so that authors are completing manuscripts by due dates
- Ensure that manuscripts adhere to Manning's writing guidelines
- Provide project status and content assessment to publisher, acquisition editor, development manager and other Manning staff
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
- Perform occasional tasks related to the marketing of books
- General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
- 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
- Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (primarily during U.S. business hours).
- Strong project- and time-management skills
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, and phone
- Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
Previous experience in a book publishing environment
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Email your resume and two references to [email protected] with Developmental Editor in the subject line. If selected for an interview, be prepared to complete an editing sample. This is a freelance, telecommute opportunity (no travel).
Freelance Copy Editors and Proofreaders
Manning Publications is seeking copy editors and proofreaders who have a long and successful record of editing and proofing book-length manuscripts. We pride ourselves on the fact that Manning books are carefully developed and edited. Our authors are experts in their respective fields – many of them are also very good writers – but most of them need professional assistance in streamlining their texts and making them as clear and accessible as possible. That's where you come in! If you are detail-oriented and would enjoy working for a company that sets very high standards of excellence, this job may be for you.
This is a freelance, remote position.
- Read, review, and edit manuscripts for accuracy in grammar and content.
- Edit copy to improve clarity and ensure content accessibility for the target audience.
- Verify terms, sources, and URLs using standard reference resources.
- Manage communication, schedule, and processing of edits and rounds of proof with author and project manager.
- Expertise with standard editorial concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Basic familiarity with technical and computer terms.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
- Ability to work with internal style guides and to create project-specific stylesheets as the project requires.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to communicate well with team members and authors.
- Ability to work on tight schedules. Our books are time-sensitive and often require a rush schedule.
- 3–5 years of prior editorial experience in a technical environment.
- Bachelor's degree and 4–8 years of professional work experience, preferably for a book publisher.
- Superior organization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, yet be self-directed and proactive.
- Experience editing in MS Word required; experience editing in new authoring tools such as AsciiDoc, Markdown, and XML preferred, but not required as long as you have the willingness to learn.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected] with Copy Editor/Proofreader in the subject line.