In this liveProject, you’ll explore the basics of sort and search algorithms. You’ll begin by sorting a simple data structure with the “selection sort” algorithm, then use the state-of-the-art quicksort algorithm. You’ll use the Processing platform to visualize every step, before finally programming a binary search function and visualizing the search process on your sorted data structures.
This liveProject is for software developers, tech educators, and aspiring programmers who know the basics of Java programming. Some experience with Processing will be helpful, but is not required. To begin this liveProject you will need to be familiar with:
- Basic Java skills such as variables and functions, control structures, if statements, and loops
- Simple data structures
- Simple object-oriented programming
- Basic debugging using print statements and the Processing console
you will learn
This liveProject is an ideal preparation for programming interviews, whiteboarding exercises, computer science studies, and visual communication skill improvement. You’ll deepen your programming skills with a better understanding of common algorithms.
- Simple data structures in Java (Processing)
- Selection sort and quick sort algorithms
- Sequential and binary search algorithms
- You choose the schedule and decide how much time to invest as you build your project.
- Project roadmap
- Each project is divided into several achievable steps.
- Get Help
- While within the liveProject platform, get help from other participants.
- Compare with others
- For each step, compare your deliverable to the solutions by the author and other participants.