In this liveProject, you’ll set up the intrusion detection service Amazon GuardDuty to help catch any hackers who may be trying to break in—or who already have and are up to no good! To achieve this goal, you’ll iteratively develop infrastructure as code in the form of AWS CloudFormation templates, then learn to address cross-account automation issues.
This project is designed for learning purposes and is not a complete, production-ready application or solution.
When you start your liveProject, you get full access to the following books for 90 days.
This liveProject series is intended for security engineers with intermediate experience in AWS and infrastructure as code. You will need to be familiar with the following:
- Basic knowledge of *nix/bash command shell, including pipes, redirection, command substitution
- Basic knowledge of the Git version control system
- Basic hands-on experience with AWS CloudFormation
- Basic hands-on experience with the AWS CLI
- Intermediate knowledge of AWS accounts and AWS Organizations
- Intermediate knowledge of Python 3 programming including: lists, dicts, loops, comprehensions, functions, conditionals
- Basic knowledge of Amazon GuardDuty will be helpful
- Intermediate understanding of cloud computing and the AWS platform
- Basic understanding of “infrastructure as code”
- Basic understanding of security concepts
Note: For all milestones in this project beware that it costs money to deploy AWS resources and leave them running. The costs depend upon the type of resource.
you will learn
In this liveProject, you’ll develop “infrastructure as code” in the form of AWS CloudFormation templates to achieve the objective of configuring intrusion detection. You’ll develop the “code” iteratively and learn to address cross-account automation issues.
- Develop automation to configure Amazon GuardDuty across accounts
- Develop Python code to retrieve a threat intelligence set from AlienVault OTX
- Deploy to a scheduled AWS Lambda Function to keep the threat intelligence set up-to-date
- Configure Amazon GuardDuty to use the intelligence set
- You choose the schedule and decide how much time to invest as you build your project.
- Project roadmap
- Each project is divided into several achievable steps.
- Get Help
- While within the liveProject platform, get help from other participants and our expert mentors.
- Compare with others
- For each step, compare your deliverable to the solutions by the author and other participants.
- book resources
- Get full access to select books for 90 days. Permanent access to excerpts from Manning products are also included, as well as references to other resources.