First the buzzwords: Serverless computing. AWS Lambda. API Gateway. Node.js. Microservices. Cloud-hosted functions. That's an impressive-sounding list, but what's the point? Beyond the buzzwords are real benefits like fast design-to-deployment times, low hosting costs, and efficient scaling and application management, along with real technologies that deliver them.
"A compelling introduction to serverless deployments using Claudia.js."
~ Jasba Simpson
"This book is really great for any newbie to the serverless paradigm."
~ Luca Mezzalira
"The concepts of Serverless Architecture are presented clearly and realistically, also giving guidance when Serverless might not be the correct solutions."
~ Kaj Strom
Part 1: Serverless Pizzeria
1. Introduction to serverless with Claudia
1.1. Servers and washing machines
1.2. The core concepts
1.3. How does serverless work?
1.4. Serverless in practice
1.4.1. Aunt Maria’s Serverless Pizzeria
1.4.2. A common approach
1.4.3. Serverless approach
1.5. Serverless infrastructure — AWS
1.6. What is Claudia, and how does it fit?
1.7. When and where should you use it?
2. Building your first serverless API
2.1. Assembling pizza ingredients: Building the API
2.1.1. Which pizza can I GET?
2.1.2. Structuring your API
2.1.3. POST an order
2.2. How Claudia deploys your API
2.3. Traffic control: How the API Gateway works
2.4. When a serverless API is not the solution
2.5. Taste it!
3. Asynchronous work is easy, we Promise()
3.1. Storing the orders
3.2. Promising to deliver in less than 30 minutes!
3.3. Trying out your API
3.4. Getting orders from the database
3.5. Taste it!
4. Pizza delivery: Connecting an external service
4.1. How do you connect to an external service?
4.2. Connecting to the delivery API
4.2.1. The Fake Delivery API
4.2.2. Creating your first delivery request
4.3. Potential issues with async communication
4.3.1. Forgetting to return a promise
4.3.2. Not passing the value from the promise
4.3.3. Not wrapping the external service in a promise
4.3.4. Timeout issues with long async operations
4.4. Taste it!
5. Houston, we have a problem!
6. Level up your APIs
7. Working with files
Part 2: Let’s Talk
8. When Pizza is one message away - Chatbots
9. Typing… Async and delayed responses
10. Blah, blah, blah
Part 3: Next Steps
11. Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3
12. Pay for pizza
13. Migrate your existing Express app to AWS Lambda
14. Serverless architecture
Appendix A: Installation and configuration
A.1. Installing Claudia
A.1.1. Configuring Claudia prerequisites
A.1.2. Creating an AWS profile and getting the keys
A.1.3. Installing Claudia API Builder
A.1.4. Installing Claudia Bot Builder
A.2. Installing AWS CLI
- Creating a serverless API using AWS Lambda and Claudia.js
- Doing authentication and database storage in a serverless way
- Creating a chatbot for multiple platforms
- Building a voice assistant with Amazon Alexa
- Developing microservices with Node.js, AWS Lambda, S3, and more