The most thorough walkthrough of Subversion tools and features I've seen.
Subversion in Action introduces you to Subversion and the concepts of version control. Using production-quality examples it teaches you how Subversion features can be customized and combined to effectively deal with your day-to-day source control problems. You'll learn how to do practical things you cannot do with CVS, like seamlessly renaming and moving files. The book covers branching and repository control, access control, and much more.
about this book
about the title
about the cover illustration
2. Getting started
3. Managing your working copy
4. Getting change information
5. Branches and tags
7. Repository administration
8. Advanced administration and configuration
9. Subversion utility clients
10. Third-party tools
11. Subversion in a development lifecycle
Appendix A: SSL certificates
Appendix B: Building Subversion
About the Technology
A new-generation version control tool, Subversion is replacing the current open source standard, CVS. With Subversion's control components you can simplify and streamline the management of your code way beyond what's possible with CVS. For example, with just one powerful feature, Subversion's atomic commit, you can easily track and roll back a set of changes.
About the book
Learn all about this new open source version control application and why it is replacing CVS as the standard. Examples demonstrate how to customize features to deal with day-to-day problems.
- Integrate Subversion into your development environment
- Repository creation, backup, and options
- Svnadmin and svnlook client interfaces
- Change logs and comparing versions
- Advanced administration and configuration commands
- Lifecycle development with Subversion
About the reader
This book is written not just for release engineers, but also for developers, configuration managers, and system administrators.
… the best book on Subversion.
... crammed with easy-to-follow examples on how to use Subversion.
… an indispensable tool.
Without this book, any environment using Subversion is incomplete.
... gets you up and running quickly.