|jQuery UI in Action
MEAP Began: November 2013
Softbound print: August 2014 (est.) | 375 pages
|Order now and start reading jQuery UI in Action today through MEAP|
|MEAP + eBook only - $35.99|
|MEAP + Print book (includes eBook) when available - $44.99|
|* For more information, please see the MEAP FAQs page.|
|About MEAP Release Date Estimates|
TABLE OF CONTENTS, MEAP CHAPTERS & RESOURCES
|Table of Contents||Resources|
PART 1: MEET JQUERY UI
1. Introducing jQuery UI - FREE
2. Enhancing User Interfaces with Widgets - AVAILABLE
PART 2: JQUERY UI CORE
3. Building Complex Web Forms with jQuery UI - AVAILABLE
4. Enhancing Interfaces with Layout & Utility Widgets - AVAILABLE
5. Adding Interaction to Your Interfaces - AVAILABLE
6. Creating Rich Animations with Effects - AVAILABLE
7. Theming and Styling Applications with jQuery UI - AVAILABLE
Part 3: CUSTOMIZATION AND ADVANCED USAGE
8. Using the Widget Factory to Build Stateful Plugins - AVAILABLE
9. Extending Widgets with the Widget Factory - AVAILABLE
10. Preparing Your Application for Production - AVAILABLE
11. Building a Flight Search Application - AVAILABLE
12. Under the Hood of jQuery UI - AVAILABLE
A Learning jQuery
B How jQuery UI Tests jQuery UI
C Using jQuery UI With Backbone
D Creating Decimal, Currency, and Time Pickers With Globalize
E Contributing to jQuery UI
F Polyfilling HTML5 with jQuery UI
Building a consistent, high-quality web user interface can be time consuming and technically challenging. jQuery UI radically simplifies the process by providing a robust set of widgets, interactions, effects, and themes that you can use immediately. This library includes all the key UI elements such as datepickers and tooltips, interactions like drag and drop, effects such as fading in and out, and themes. And, jQuery UI's powerful widget factory makes it a snap to customize existing components to match the look, feel, and function of your app.
jQuery UI in Action is a practical guide to using and customizing jQuery UI library components to build rich, user-friendly web applications. By working through numerous engaging examples, you'll move quickly from placing a datepicker on the page to building a complete user interface that includes features like a contact form and shopping cart. You'll master jQuery UI's five main interactions—draggable, droppable, resizable, selectable, and sortable—and learn UI techniques that work across all devices. At the core of the book is a comprehensive guide to the jQuery UI widget factory, a battle tested solution for creating stateful jQuery plugins. By learning the widget factory inside and out, you'll gain the ability to build custom widgets that can be used across sites or applications. Along the way, you'll discover jQuery UI's CSS framework and theming system to create custom, cohesive themes for sites and applications.
- Covers jQuery UI 1.11
- Overview of jQuery UI components and features
- How to create interactions that will work on any device
- Use customizable and extensible widgets on your web and mobile apps
- Workflows for core features such as ThemeRoller and the widget factory
- Insights from a member of the core jQuery UI team
If you're already using jQuery, you're only a <script> tag away from unlocking the full suite of functionality that jQuery UI provides. Written with front end developers and web designers in mind, readers need only a basic understanding of the jQuery library.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
TJ VanToll is a Web Developer with seven years of experience developing large web applications. He is a member of the jQuery UI core team and has contributed to many open source projects.
ABOUT THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION
This Early Access version of jQuery UI in Action enables you to receive new chapters as they are being written. You can also interact with the authors to ask questions, provide feedback and errata, and help shape the final manuscript on the Author Online forum.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Sign up to read more content when it is released and to receive news about this book.