|Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches
MEAP Began: February 2013
Softbound print: February 2014 (est.) | 300 pages
|Order today and start reading Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches today through MEAP|
|MEAP + Ebook only - $35.99|
|MEAP + Print book (includes Ebook) when available - $44.99|
|* For more information, please see the MEAP FAQs page.|
|About MEAP Release Date Estimates|
Table of Contents, MEAP Chapters & Resources
|Table of Contents||Resources|
PART 1:MANAGING ACTIVE DIRECTORY DATA
1. Before you begin - FREE
2. User account creation - AVAILABLE
3. User account management - AVAILABLE
4. Group management - AVAILABLE
5. Troubleshooting users and groups - AVAILABLE
6. Managing Computer Accounts - AVAILABLE
7. Managing organizational units - AVAILABLE
PART 2:MANAGING GROUP POLICY
8. Creating Group Policies - AVAILABLE
9. Managing Group Policies - AVAILABLE
10. Fine grained password policies - AVAILABLE
PART 3:MANAGING THE ACTIVE DIRECTORY SERVICE
11. Creating domain controllers - AVAILABLE
12. Managing domain controllers - AVAILABLE
13. Protecting Active Directory data - AVAILABLE
14. Security: Default groups and delegation - AVAILABLE
15. Managing DNS - AVAILABLE
16. Managing Sites and Subnets - AVAILABLE
17. AD replication - AVAILABLE
18. Managing AD trusts - AVAILABLE
PART 4:MAINTENANCE AND TROUBLESHOOTING
19. Troubleshooting your AD - AVAILABLE
20. Maintaining and monitoring AD - AVAILABLE
21. Future work and final exam - AVAILABLE
22. Into the Cloud - AVAILABLE
A Searching AD - AVAILABLE
B Migrations and upgrades - AVAILABLE
Active Directory is the heart of a Windows network, providing a centralized location for administration, security, and other core management functions. For example, Active Directory authenticates all users in a Windows network and enforces policies for managing your desktop estate. If you're new to Active Directory administration—or if you find yourself unexpectedly thrust into that role—you need to get a handle on Active Directory quickly. This is the book for you.
Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches is a practical, hands-on tutorial designed for IT pros new to Active Directory. It skips the theory and concentrates on the day to day administration tasks you need to know to keep your network running smoothly. Just set aside an hour a day for a month—lunchtime would be perfect—and you'll be comfortable and productive with Active Directory before you know it.
This book makes no assumptions about your background and starts by introducing Active Directory and walking you through its basic features. You'll learn how to administer AD both from the GUI tools built into Windows and by using PowerShell and the AD cmdlets. Along the way, you'll touch on best practices for managing user access, setting good group policies, automating backup processes, and more. The examples in the book use Windows Server 2012 version of Active Directory and point out any important differences from earlier versions.
- Master day-to-day administrative tasks
- Learn GUI and command line techniques
- Assumes no prior knowledge
- Practical and task orientated
- Tested by new administrators
- Lots of well-illustrated, clearly-explained examples
A set of handy appendices provide a guide to installing Active Directory in Windows Server 2012 and earlier versions, using Server Core, and an overview of Active Directory migrations and reorganizations. This book assumes no prior experience with Active Directory.
About the Authors
Richard Siddaway is an experienced all-around Windows administrator with two decades of experience. He's the author of PowerShell in Practice and PowerShell and WMI, and coauthor of PowerShell in Depth.
About the Early Access Version
This Early Access version of Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches enables you to receive new chapters as they are being written. You can also interact with the authors to ask questions, provide feedsiddaway3 and errata, and help shape the final manuscript on the Author Online forum.
Want to learn More?
Sign up to read more content when it is released and to receive news about this book.